Ok everyone. Here’s the big blog post about what I did for my husband and I’s anniversary. I’ll try to keep it as short as possible but so much detail went into it, that I’m not sure how long this will end up, so here goes…
I found that for year 7, the gift theme is copper. We don’t always do the themes but this year, I guess I was feeling a bit creative. So I decided to plan a big scavenger hunt and trip to the mountains. He had no idea about the scavenger hunt, so it was really awesome. So, I collected 7 pennies.
- 1984: The year I was born
- 1985: The year he was born
- 2005: The year we got engaged
- 2006: The year we got married
- 2011: The year we found out we were expecting Carly
- 2012: The year Carly was born
- 2013: The year our marriage turned 7 years old
So, 7 pennies, each from an important year, were collected. After that, I went to Target and found one of their spiral notebook scrapbook things. It’s cool. It comes with a double sided pen where one is a felt tip marker/pen and the other is a glue stick. I filled out the whole thing with various things from our past, all of which I will go into below. I also bought a polaroid 300 camera so he could take pictures along the way. Basically, the whole point was for him to help us create a 7 year anniversary scrapbook. So, here goes.
- He had taken a half day at work last Thursday and had Friday-Sunday off. He thought we would be preparing to go out of town to the mountains on Friday so he took a half day Thursday to prepare. Instead, he came home from work to find Carly and I gone and a package at the door. When he opened the package, there was the scrapbook and what I call a “man purse” that included all of the tools he needed to complete the hunt to find me. It included double sided tape, the polaroid, photo corners, etc. When he opened the notebook, it was basically a surprise that gave him a clue which would lead him to some pennies and eventually lead him to my location with the 7th penny. So, the first clue, written in the scrapbook led him to my bed side. All of the clues were written in poem form. At my bed side, he found the first two pennies (the years of our births) taped to a note about the pennies. With it, he’d find clue #2 and some instagram pictures that went along with the clues. For example, the first one talked about the beach and how we live near it but never go, so when he found clue #2, he found a couple of instagram pictures from a beach trip we took. Each clue and instagram photos were put in an envelope I made out of scrapbook paper that had copper foil in the design. With clue #2, he also got a box of CheezIts, the pepper jack flavor because they are his favorite and I knew he’d be hungry having not yet eaten lunch.
- Clue #2 lead to my closet where he found clue #3 in my Northface snow boots from when we lived up north. He found the 2005 penny.
- Clue #3 lead to a scrapbook that I made for our 6 month dating anniversary YEEEEAAARRRRSSSS ago. In the spiral scrapbook, which was his guide/manual to the scavenger hunt, I put some interactive things in there like matching some of our firsts to the date they happened. The 6 month dating anniversary scrapbook had all of those in there so once he found it, he was able to use it to match the dates (which he didn’t do correctly but that’s ok! lol!) It is there he also found the 2006 penny.
- Clue #4 was awesome. It basically told him he had to call a certain phone number to get clue #5. Clue #5 was my best friend’s phone number in which I gave her a script so when he called, she had to pick up, read the script, and then hang up on him. It was hilarious! And awesome!
- Clue #5 had the 2011 penny and some cash in it which told him to go to Publix to get me some roses. Before he left, he had to pack up some CheezIts and grab some cokes I had chilled in the fridge to bring to the dock. That morning, before I took Carly to my dad’s house, I stopped by Colby’s car at work and put clue #6 in the seat pocket behind the driver seat and put a few things in his trunk. I’ll get to that in the next one.
- So after he went to Publix and got me flowers, he had to check the spiral scrapbook again to find clue #6, which was behind the seat of his car in the pocket. This directed him to go to the park where I was but to not go to the dock just yet where I was waiting. When he got to the park, he had to go to the trunk where he’d find a bag with scissors, water, and a vase to trim the flowers and put them in a vase to bring to me. He also found our beach blanket to sit on because I knew the dock would be hot. He found the 2012 penny along with clue #6.
- Finally, he found me at the dock where I read him a sweet letter I had written to him and gave him the 7th penny, the 2013 penny. We hugged for a long time and then went through the scrapbook together. He told me all about his hunt, showing me the polaroids he took during it, etc. It was awesome. Because a storm came, we had to leave, but we went back home and looked through our 6 month dating anniversary scrapbook. It was so fun to see us way back then. I had also put a mason jar in the bag in the trunk that had a bunch of post it papers that I’ve been keeping over the past year of funny stories or things that I thought were cute about Colby that we got to go through on the dock.
Anyway, so that was the scavenger hunt. Then Friday we left for the Blue Ridge mountains where we spent Friday-Sunday in a beautiful log cabin, exploring the mountains, playing endless air hockey (which I am the undefeated champion of all time of, by the way) and enjoying reminiscing of our rich history together. Of course, the trip was not long enough, but it was nice to get away, even for a few days. We took the scrapbook to Blue Ridge with us to finish it together. It was awesome.
Colby, I love you so much. I love “us.” We have such a long, rich history together and I’m so glad that God’s plan was for us to live life together. You’re my companion, my best friend, my champion (except at air hockey), my everything. I can’t imagine life without you and I know you feel the same way. Here’s to 70 more years of love, companionship, friendship, and sweetness. I love you!